Anyway, I may or may not recover ANY data and am pretty sad about it. Of course, it's absolutely my fault since I have no back-ups... And I do know that there is no good excuse for that failing. But, I now have almost no pictures--yes, I may have lost my pix of Christoph from birth to the present. I'm kicking myself nearly hourly for that one.
Other than that, I have lost all files, historical and current. I have lost my address book, my court documents, etc. And I have almost no Email addresses either. Additionally, I cannot now access any other Email account other than my gmail account (CHNsMom@gmail.com).
I apologize, but please, please send me your Email addresses and snail mail addresses. I am still trying to recover the data. I am getting "timemachine" and I am getting an external hard drive and I know I'm remiss for not having done so sooner but I'm doing it now!
So, my friends, if you are in a "putting out fires" mode like I have been, please don't let this go like I did. The fire from this is much too big, I promise! And if I can save some of you from repeating my mistake, YAY!
Sorry to hear about your data loss, and thank you for sharing it in the hopes that others don't do the same.
ReplyDeleteTimemachine is a part of Mac OS X. If you plug in any external drive it asks you if you want to use it.
Another thing that I strongly suggest is offsite backup. Time machine won't help you if someone steals your computer and backup drive, or if the worst happens and your home gets destroyed.
There are plently of options, but for a non-techie on a mac I would suggest MobileMe. The key with an offiste solution is making sure that you routinely have your data transferred to it.
Thanks, Trevor!
ReplyDeleteI got another online recommendation too. I feel so stupid for not even considering these steps before...!