Monday, March 9, 2009

Our last week

I'm well into my last week with Christopher before Bevin is allowed to take him away from me. I think I'm making the best of it.

On Saturday, we had Auntie Jane and her sweet cat, Vinny, over for blueberry pancakes. Puck scared Vinny. I think Christopher did too! Then we had a field trip to Sprouts in Parker (a natural grocer we thought only existed in AZ!), which included a bit of snow. On the way, we stopped in Aurora at Lowe's to buy paint for some special projects. Then we headed to the airport to pick up Bonny, Katie and Kelsey for their Spring Break visit. Christopher was so excited he could barely sleep that night! Er, really.

On Sunday, we headed to Fraser for some tubing with the kids. I and Bonny were both completely and utterly scared to tube down that hill. There were no gentle slopes. It was steep and fast ice and came close to making us pee ourselves. The kids were fine, though Christopher did bury his head into me for each run! And Gwen and Katie were absolute daredevils. Then we hit Hot Sulphur Springs for some recovery time. That was more my forty-something speed! It was quite chilly outside, but so nice in the pools. The kids were all very done-in by the time we got home and so were we!

On Monday, we toured the Hammond's Candy Factory...and bought a few goodies at the end, of course. It's been here in Denver for like 100 years and Williams Sonoma sells their ribbon candy for the Holidays. We got to see some made! Then we got fancy sandwiches and sodas and had a pic-nic at Red Rocks. It was Sunny, but the wind was cold. The kids all got souvenir pennies pressed in the Visitor Center! Then some run-around, crazy time at the Stapleton playground. Home for super hero costume play, Gwen's fab lasagna and the movie "Hoodwinked."

On Tuesday, we spent a ton of morning time doing legal research and writing...Bonny did, that is! And Christopher didn't seem to feel well, so he took an odd morning nap. The girls were super excited about the overnight/early morning snow and played in it a bit. A little after Noon we all rallied and got off to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science where we met up with Shannon and Saffron. Christopher is still talking about the weather exhibit--hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes--oh, my! Then home for more legal work and dinner. And I got to do some rock hound fun with Katie too. She's well on her way to getting hooked! (Watch out, Bonny!) Katie and I then did some marathon dinner shopping...finally ending up with Quorn nuggets, broccoli and green beans through quite an adventure. Then, I mostly got the kids to bed while Bonny typed and typed. Christopher was so tired that a short back rub did him in. Kelsey needed a bit of snuggling (and she's a fab snuggler too!) Katie just wanted some darkness! I am forever indebted to Bonny for all her free legal help and fresh insight! What unexpected fun with late-night mojitos and legal theory discussions.

Wednesday was leaving day and we were all sad. But we were all pretty worn out too! Bonny was still making legal notes and even set down some action items for me. I'm so on them too! After some breakfast and cartoons, the kids were all ready. We showered and got ready. Bonny packed-up and I loaded the car. Then off to the airport--nearly on time, even! Hugs around and a bit of crying (mostly just me and Christopher!) Christopher and I talked about being sad at them leaving on the way to school. He really just LOVED having Katie and Kelsey around. Katie is such a good big sister and Kelsey is the perfect partner in crime. He is going to miss them for weeks on end, I know.

During their visit, I was mostly out of reach by phone/Email. I tried to attend to some minimums, but mostly I just focused on enjoying the time being all about the kids...and they had a blast together too!

No comments:

Post a Comment